Kitchari is the traditional cleansing food of Ayurveda. It is a warm and comforting bowl of split mung beans and basmati rice with delicious warming spices. Typically / traditionally it is made with ghee (not vegan) so instead I swap it for cold pressed coconut oil.
Kitchari is also often topped off with yogurt, therefor I wanted to veganzie that part of the dish by creating a cashew cilantro cream to dollop on top!
K I T C H A R I
2 tbsp California Gold Nutrition Coconut Oil
1 cup dried yellow mung dal (soaked in water over night)
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp kitchari spice mix (I get it on iHerb)
5 cups vegetable stock or water
1 bunch organic curly kale, roughly chopped with stems removed
4 organic carrots, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1. *Its best to soak mung dal over night* although if you haven’t planned ahead simply soak for 40 minutes. Rinse dal well until the water runs clear and drain.
2. Add coconut oil to a medium pot on medium-low heat. Once the oil starts to warm up, add the kitchari spice mix then add the ginger and stir. Add in the rice and mung dal. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Stir and add the 5 cups of water (or veggie stock)
3. Increase the heat to medium-high to bring the water to a boil. When the water comes to a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer. Let the kitchari simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add in chopped carrots and cook for an additional 15 minutes, until you get a porridge-like consistency. It should be soft and creamy. Lastly add chopped kale, stir in and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Taste the kitchari to make sure the rice and dal are fully cooked. If not, you may need to let it cook a little longer.
5. Turn off the heat. Adjust the seasoning, if needed, and stir again. Serve and enjoy with a dollop of cream sauce (recipe below), cilantro and a squeeze of lime!
C I L A N T R O C R E A M
1 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
1/2 cup filtered water
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 1 lemon or lime
1/4-1/2 cup cilantro
1. Combine all the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. You can add 2-3 extra tbsp of water if needed!