Tlakoyos are the ultimate Mexican street food. Here is how to make them at home! Some of you may know that I recently spent a month living in Mexico City. During my time I discovered these delicious corn cakes filled with beans. I was so excited to find a traditional food that was coincidentally vegan.
Roll into a (golf sized) ball, flatten, add beans to center, fold in half, shape into a tlakoyo & flatten a bit!
Mexican street food made simply
Author: Alexa Soto
1 cup refried beans
2 lbs Corn masa
1 tbsp salt
2 ripe avocados
1/4 yellow onion, diced small
1 large bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 jalapeño (optional)
Juice of 2-3 limes
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for 2 hours) 1/2 juice of lemon
1/4 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp cup nutritional yeast
- I bought store bought masa that was ready to go, it just needed a bit of added salt! I purchased from a Mexican market although if you can’t get ready to go masa you could purchase corn masa online…I have used this brand; Corn Masa and followed the directions on the package!
- I made my own beans on the stove (Use this quik method if you decide to go this route: Stove Top Beans. You can also feel free to buy canned beans and mash your self and add some spices or you could buy refried beans in a can.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and cover with a wet cloth or napkin. Heat a griddle/ “comal” over medium heat.
- Grab one of the dough pieces & roll between your hands. Place on the sheet of plastic and pat with your hands to form a thick circle.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the beans in the center of the circle.
- Fold the circle to seal the edges, forming a half moon/empanada shape. Then, with your two hands, hold the Tlacoyo and gently press the ends to form the pointy tips on each side.
- Place the Tlacoyo in the already hot griddle and cook each side for about 2-3 minutes, depending on the thickness. You can add a small amount of oil or if your using a non stick pan you can omit it.
- In a blender place all cashew cream sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Mash avocados with a large fork then add all the ingredients. Taste and add more of whatever you feel is necessary.
Share your photos with me of your Tlakoyo creations! Tag me on Instagram!