These have to be my favorite cookies I have made… HANDS DOWN! I made two batches in one day and they were gone by then end of the day. My friends and family LOVED THEM!
Vegan Turtle Cookies
Author: Alexa Soto
Total time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
1/2 cup vegan butter, soft but not melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (be sure not to pack your flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips , divided
sea salt (for topping)
1 cup chopped pecans (+1/4 cup extra for topping)
8 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup almond butter, creamy
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp warm water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, brown sugar, and vanilla, beating until well combined.
4. Add in the almond milk and applesauce and whisk until well combined; set aside.
5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; whisk well to combine.
7. Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, using a wooden spoon, stir until ingredients are combined.
8. Fold in chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
9. Cover the cookie dough with plastic wrap and set in the fridge while you make the caramel.
10. In a high speed blender or food processor combine dates (remove the pit) , warm water and creamy almond butter. Blend until creamy.
11. Remove cookie dough from fridge and scoop the “caramel” sauce into the dough but reserve 1/4 cup of “caramel”.
12. Lightly mix the caramel into the dough (you want to be able to see swirls of the caramel so do NOT over mix). Roll cookie dough into golf sized balls. Place the cookies on a prepared cookie sheet and gently press the cookies down with a spoon. Leave a few inches between each cookies for spreading. Add a little “blobs” of caramel sauce on each cookie and a couple of chopped pecans.
13. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges golden and the centers have set. Sprinkle with sea salt! Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.