CREAMY TOMATO SOUP! This is by far my favorite type of soup. I grew up eating creamy tomato soup on a weekly basis. The creamy tomato soup from my local grocery store was my absolute favorite thing to eat multiple times a week. So, I did some investigating and found out some secret ingredients that makes the soup SO damn good. It was import to me to recreate this to be identical to the one I grew up loving so much. I knew I could not take short cuts. The creaminess element is in fact as decedent and creamy as real cream. HOMEMADE CASHEW MILK is the answer. While canned coconut milk is silky and creamy, I wanted to stay away from a coconut flavor in the soup (it could be over powering in dishes ). Cashew milk could be made so easily and a nut milk bag is not necessary either! It truly makes this tomato soup so incredibly creamy. There is a secret ingredient in here aside from the cashew milk and that is BUTTERNUT SQUASH! When I said I did some investigating on my childhood favorite soup I was serious… I found out one of the main ingredients was butternut squash! It gives the soup a richness and slight sweetness. I am so excited for you guys to try this recipe! Don’t forget to make some vegan grilled cheese to dunk!
Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
Author: Alexa Soto
| Total time: 50 minutes | Prep time: 20 minutes |
1 (29 ounces) can tomato puree
1 cup raw cashews
5 cups filtered water *divided*
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 butternut squash (4 cups chopped)
3 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tbsp “no chicken” bouillon
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt (optional… if needed)
Soak cashews in filtered water for 2 hours
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Carefully cut off the skin from the butternut squash. *My tip is to cut in half first then cut off skin.* Chop into small chunks and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until tender. (do not let brown)
3. Meanwhile chop onion, red bell pepper and garlic into really small pieces. In a large pot over medium heat saute garlic and onions for 3 minutes…adding 1 tbsp water throughout cooking process to prevent sticking. Then add the bell pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile drain your raw cashews and rinse with water. Place soaked cashews in a blender with 2 cups of filtered water. Blend for 30 seconds on high speed. Place a mesh drainer over a bowl and pour the cashew milk through. *You could also use a nut milk bag if you have one.*
5. Pour the cashew milk into a bowl and set aside until ready to use.
6. Remove the sautéed onion, garlic and bell pepper mixture and add it to a high speed blender…do not wash pot.
7. To the same pot pour 3 cups water over medium heat and boil. Add “no chicken” bouillon whisk together until dissolved. Add tomato puree and cashew milk, stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add the baked butternut squash to the blender with the bell pepper mixture along with 4 cups of the simmering soup and blend until smooth. Add the blended mixture back into the pot and mix all together and cook on medium heat for 7 minutes.
9. Enjoy as is or with a vegan grilled cheese! (I recommend Chao cheese by field roast + earth balance vegan butter)