Seriously who doesn’t love a hearty, comforting lasagna? This is not your typical veggie lasagna… while I do throw some veggies in there, there is also layers of “ground beef” and homemade almond ricotta. We have used my homemade ricotta in the pasta shells and tortellinis! So Yes, this stuff is so delicious and legit. Lasagna is actually one of the easiest things to throw together while still looking like you really tried. So since Valentines day is coming up I suggest you put this on your menu if you plan to cook a dinner for your loved.
A little step by step action…
Serves 10 large slices or 12 small
Author: Alexa Soto
| Total time: 1 hour | Prep time: 15 minutes |
16 ounces Lasagna noodles (oven ready, GF or regular)
2 (26 ounce jars) marinara sauce
1 cup mushrooms, chopped ( I used cremini but button works great too)
1 zucchini or 1 cup sliced
1 (14 ounce) package of firm tofu
1 cup raw almonds
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cups spinach, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
1. Make ricotta filling. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place your
raw almonds into the boiling water. Let boil for 2 minutes.
2. Drain the almonds immediately in a colander or strainer and rinse them with
cold water to cool them. Blot the almonds dry with a paper towel.Use your fingers
to gently squeeze the almonds and loosen the skin from them.Set skinless
almonds in a bowl and set aside.
3.Remove tofu from package and wrap in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel
and squeeze for 20 seconds to allow for excess water to strain.
4. In a food processor or high speed blender combine tofu, blanched
almonds, nutritional yeast, unsweetened almond milk, garlic powder, onion
powder, salt & pepper. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until there is no chunks. Mixture
will look slightly lumpy and that is okay! Add more almond milk if needed.
5. In a small pan cook chopped spinach with 1 tbsp on water for 1 minute or until
spinach is wilted down.
6. Once ricotta mixture is made and spinach is ready, combine the two in a
medium size bowl and mix well. Taste mixture and add any extra salt or
seasonings if needed.
7. Slice mushrooms and zucchini 1/4 inch thin.
8. In a large pan on medium heat, combine veggie ground + 2 cups of sauce
& cook for 5 minutes, then turn off heat.
9. To assemble the lasagna pour 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of
your baking dish. Spread evenly. Then lay out a layer of lasagna noodles (see
photo above for step by step steps).
10. Next add a thin layer of sauce on top of the noodles followed by the meat sauce. Distribute all of the meat sauce evenly over the noodles. Place another layer of noodles over the meat sauce.
11. Add a generous layer of sauce over the noodles and follow it with a generous layer of the ricotta. Leave about 1/2 of ricotta for later. Cover the ricotta layer with noodles then a generous amount of sauce… About 1/2 cup. Next lay out sliced zucchini and mushrooms. Pour a thin layer of sauce over the veggies and then a last layer of noodles.
12. Pour the remainder of your sauce over the noodles. Should be about 1 cup of marinara sauce. Lastly dollop the remainder of your ricotta and spread over the marinara sauce.
13. Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil and place in preheated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the lasagna noodles are soft.
14. Let lasagna cool for 20 minutes and then serve!