Falafel burger time! In the month of January we hosted another Blissful Gatherings and this time around it was Mediterranean theme! We made falafels and homemade, fluffy, delicious flat bread! For the dinner we served falafel wraps and they were incredible! The guests loved them. Chancy and I reflected on each dish post blissful gatherings and chancy had the genius idea to make falafel burgers! Then I thought of creating flat bread buns and OMG best collaborative idea to date!This flat bread is rather simple to make and seriously will blow your mind. The bread is soft, fluffy and just perfection. I am so excited for you guys to try this recipe. It is TO DIE FOR!
Author: Alexa Soto
| Total time: 1 hour | Prep time: 1 hour |
2 cups garbanzo
4 garlic cloves
1/4 white onion (3/4 cup roughly chopped)
1 bunch cilantro
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/2 cup peas
1 cup almond meal
Flat bread buns
3 1/3 cups bread flour
1-1/2 cups + 2 tbsp warm unsweetened almond milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
1/2 tsp teaspoons salt
1/2 Red onion (raw or pickled)
vegan mayo or hummus (optional)
1. Rinse canned chickpeas in a fine mesh strainer, then poor the chickpeas
onto a large plate lined with pepper towels. Spread the chickpeas out on
the plate and grab another paper towel and put it over the chickpeas,
patting on them to dry.
2. Add cilantro, onion, and garlic to a food processor. Mix until well
processed. Set aside.
3. Once the chickpeas are dried, add to the food processor, along with
almond meal, salt, pepper & cumin. Mix to combine thoroughly, scraping
down sides as needed. You’re looking for a paste like consistency with only
very small bits of chickpeas and herbs.
4. Sample a small bit and adjust spices/salt/herbs as needed. Then cover
and set in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld and the
texture to become more firm.
(If you’re making the flat bread buns skip to the “flat bread” directions
below… while you wait for your falafel mixture to sit for an hour.)
5. Remove from refrigerator and scoop out 1/2 cup amount of falafel
mixture and gently form into a patty with your heads. Feel free to make
them into small patties to make regular falafels. The mixture may feel really
wet and sticky but that is OK! it will dry out slightly when you cook them.
6. Once your falafel patties are formed, heat a large pan over medium/
medium-high heat. brush each side of the falafel patty with a very thin layer
of avocado oil or oil of your choice.
7. Then place falafel patties on the pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side.
Once the bottom side is browned, flip gently as they can be fragile.
Continue until all falafel are cooked.
THE FLAT BREAD BUNS
(You can make this into larger traditional sized flat bread…Also the directions below are for a stand mixer but feel free to use your hands instead… JUST MAKE SURE TO KNEED)
1. Place warm almond milk in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix in the 2 tablespoons of sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top of the almond milk. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes or until yeast has expanded in size.
2. Turn mixer on to speed 2 (or low) and add melted vegan butter and salt. Add flour a little at a time until you’ve added 3-1/3 cups and mix until well combined. Once the mixture is well combined, continue to run mixer on speed 2 for 5 minutes to knead the dough. Dough should be clinging to dough hook.
3. Transfer the dough to a bowl that has been coated with cooking spray or olive oil. Place a dish cloth over the bowl and allow bowl to sit in a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 4″ circles.
4. Heat a pan to medium heat. Brush the top of each dough circle with a small bit of avocado oil (or olive oil) and place the bread circles oil side down onto the grill. When the bottom side is browned, turn over the bread, and grill the other side until golden.
TIME TO ASSEMBLE
1. Grab two flat bread buns. Slather on hummus or vegan mayo (I used pesto veganise), Falafel patty, 1-2 slices of tomato, avocado and onion. Enjoy!