VEGAN SCONES BABY!
The other day my boyfriend Chancy and I were having a debate… A debate on what pastry was better…a croissant or a scone. I was team Croissant and Chancy is a scone guy. So we took this debate to the Instagram polls and although croissants won (as I knew they would (-; ha!) Chancy would NOT stop talking about how he REALLY wanted a homemade vegan scone. It was a fun challenge for me and I while I do still love a good croissant (and hopefully will come up with a recipe for some soon) I have to say, SCONES ARE INCREDIBLE. I understand Chancy’s love for them.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is so simple you only need 30 minutes! You could also get creative and add different toppings in them. We made chocolate chip & blackberry ones! Blueberry or raspberry would be great too!
Easy Vegan Scones
makes 6 large scones or 8 small ones
Author: Alexa Soto
| Total time: 35 minutes | Prep time: 10 minutes |
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp salt
7 tbsp vegan butter (113 grams)
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 Chia egg (1 tbsp ground chia +3 tbsp water)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 chocolate chips or blackberries
1 cup organic powdered sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare chia egg in a small mixing bowl by adding 1 tbsp ground chia + 3 tbsp water and set to the side. (If you only have whole chia seeds place 1/2 a cup of chia seeds in a blender and blend until fine powder is formed…pour into a jar or container and use for future recipes or in smoothies!)
3. In a separate large bowl combine flour with baking powder, cane sugar and salt. Mix with a whisk to combine.
4. Chop vegan butter (make sure it is room temperature) into small cubes and add to the dry mixture and use a fork to mix into the flour. Mix until there are no large lumps.
5. Whisk the almond milk into the chia egg and mix well. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix with a wooden spoon. Make sure not to over mix!
6. Transfer the dough mixture onto a floured surface and use hands to finish mixing. Add chocolate chips OR chopped blackberries.
7. Form the mixture into a rectangle and cut into 6 scones (triangles). Gently transfer the scones to the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until fluffy and light golden brown on the edges and top. Let cool slightly before enjoying. Enjoy as is or… Make an icing by combining organic powdered sugar + almond milk in a bowl, whisk together. Make sure scones are fully cooled, flip the scone and dip into the icing. Let sit for 10 minutes to harden and enjoy!
*Store leftovers at room temperature in a well-sealed container for up to 3 days.