Kabocha squash is one of my FAVORITE foods. The best way I could describe it, is like a cross between a pumpkin and a potato. Has a slight starchiness like a potato but is slightly sweet like pumpkin. It is THE BEST squash and why not make a pasta sauce out of it? This pasta sauce is creamy, slightly sweet and has a touch of saltiness from the lovely white miso.
This recipe is pretty straight forward and could be an easy week night recipe! Just throw some veggies in the oven (my favorite way to make veggies) and then blending up a delicious sauce. I threw the sauce over some brown rice & quinoa spaghetti to make it a lighter and gluten free meal! But feel free to pair it with some good ol’ regular spaghetti or pasta noodles of your choice.
Vegan Kabocha Pasta
Author: Alexa Soto
| Total time: 40 hours | Prep time: 10 |
1 lb spaghetti (I like the brown rice & quinoa spaghetti from trader joes)
1 cup brussel sprouts, halved
1 Kabocha (about 3 cups chopped)
1 small delicata (about 1 cup chopped, optional…sub more kabocha squash)
1 (15 ounce) can white beans (I used great northern beans)
1/4 cup raw cashews
1 1/2 tbsp white miso paste
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp pepper
Chili pepper flakes
- In a medium sized bowl combine 2 cups of water with the raw cashews and set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper lay out chopped squash (you can leave the skin on, its edible, tasty and good for you!) and season with salt and pepper. Place in preheated oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- On a separate baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place halved Brussel sprouts and season with salt and pepper. Once squash has been baking for 15 minutes place brussel sprouts in the oven along with squash and bake for the remainder time (20 minutes).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook your spaghetti according to the directions on the package.
- Once Squash and brussel sprouts are baked, remove from the oven.
- Discard the water from the raw cashews and place the cashews in a high speed blender or food processor along with squash, miso, warm water, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add more warm water for desired consistency. Adjust seasonings as needed. More miso for more saltiness!
- Once your pasta is cooked transfer to a large pan and pour the sauce over the spaghetti and cook on low for 3-5 minutes or until well combined.
- When ready to serve top it off with your brussel sprouts, chili pepper flakes, and vegan parm (or nutritional yeast if desired) Enjoy!