Lets make baklava cinnamon rolls a THING!? Some of you may know that aside from blogging I also am the co founder and host of Blissful Gatherings. Blissful Gatherings is a pop up dinner party that occurs on a monthly basis located in San Diego, CA. We serve a 5 course vegan meal, bottomless kombucha + pressed juice & most importantly bring individuals of our community together to share a meal & connect! I create the menu each month and develop recipes until I am completely satisfied with each one. So yes, you can probably imagine the several batches of cinnamon rolls I went through! My boyfriend Chancy was one happy man (“fresh cinnamon rolls for breakfast each day?!”)
Typically for Blissful Gatherings we choose a cuisine for the menu and run with it. This past time we put together a Mediterranean inspired menu. I was not particularly familiar with a variety of Mediterranean dishes although one dish the stood out to me was baklava. Baklava is a traditional dessert consisting of flaky dough, pistachios (or other nuts) & honey. I wanted to do a big twist on the classic baklava and combine It with a cinnamon roll because WHO DOESN’T love a warm, cinnamon, sweet & soft cinnamon roll.
Cinnamon rolls look fancy, difficult to make and potentially time consuming but I promise they’re easier to make then they look and when you pull it off you will feel like a pro baker.
Vegan Baklava Cinnamon Rolls
Author: Alexa Soto
| Total time: 2 hours | Prep time: 1 1/2 hours |
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 packet instant (or rapid-rise) yeast
4 tbsp vegan butter (I use earth balance) *divided*
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp cane sugar *divided*
1/4 + 2 tbsp cup raw (roasted pistachios) *divided*
Vegan “honey” glaze
1/4 cup Bee Free Honee (or… maple syrup, agave…etc)
1 cups organic powdered sugar
1 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
1. In a large bowl place the almond milk and 2 Tbsp vegan butter, place in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds or until warm and vegan butter melted, Remove from heat and let cool to be warm (not hot!).Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast but do not stir. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. Then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
2. Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. You can then use your hands as it will get difficult to stir because it will become thick! Transfer the dough to a floured surface and kneed for 30 seconds to a minute. Add your dough ball back into your mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size!
3. Roughly chop cashews into small pieces or place the pistachios into a food processor and quickly pulse.
4. In a small bowl combine the pistachio pieces (leave 2 tbsp of pistachios to later top off the cinnamon rolls for garnish) 2 tbsp cane sugar, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tbsp cinnamon and mix until well combined.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter. Then sprinkle over your sugar and pistachio mixture.
6.Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8-inch square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 8 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp vegan butter (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
7. Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Meanwhile make your “honey” glaze by combining the bee free honee (or sweetener of choice), powdered sugar and almond milk, whisking together and setting aside until ready to us. If glaze is too thick add 1/2-1 tbsp almond milk & if too thin add a little more powdered sugar.
8. Once baklava cinnamon rolls are baked, Let cool for 5 minutes, drizzle over glaze and then serve immediately. ENJOY!